Thursday, August 7, 2014

Self-Frosted Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This is SUCH a great cake...moist with a crunchy topping.  EXCELLENT! 
And an awesome way to use up some plentiful zucchini!

I've had this recipe printed for some time, and with all the 'zuccs' being given to me recently, it was time to get it made. 

I'm SO glad I did too. 

Sprinkle brown sugar and chocolate chips over the top to make a lovely 'frosting'. 

(My batter 'grew' up over the choco chips in the topping so you can't really see many in the photo)

It's simple too.  I still have some shredded zucchini in my freezer from last year and folks keep giving us more, so I've been keeping busy. 

I gave most of this yummy cake to new neighbors, but hubby and I each enjoyed a small piece too.  VERY TASTY!!!


So glad I saw this at Sandra's Scrumptilicious 4 You.

You could add some cinnamon if you'd like.  I didn't think of it or I would have. I think cinnamon and chocolate combo is super! 
(I'd suggest no more than 1 tsp.)

Enjoy this lovely dessert - doncha just LOVE it when you can sneak veggies into your family's diet, and they don't have a clue???


SELF-FROSTED CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

1/3 c. butter or margarine, room temperature
1/2 c. vegetable (or canola) oil
(or use 1/4 c. oil + 1/4 c. applesauce)
1-3/4 c. sugar
(I reduced to 1-1/2)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk*(see note below)

In large bowl, cream all these ingredients together until smooth and fluffy.

In small bowl, combine the following ingredients:
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2-1/2 c. (white wheat) flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. baking cocoa

2 c. finely grated zucchini, peeled or unpeeled
(It 'hides' better if it's peeled) 

Topping:

3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. milk chocolate chips 


Combine dry ingredients with wet mixture. Fold in zucchini; stir until blended.

Grease & flour 9" X 13" baking pan. Spread batter evenly. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Bake 40 - 45 minutes, testing with toothpick in the middle to be assured it's done. 

NOTE: To make your own buttermilk, add 1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 c. milk; let stand 5 minutes until it thickens; stir, add to recipe. 





Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly