Sunday, September 21, 2014

Butternut Apple Crisp

I am wild about butternut squash and love any way I can find to fix it. 

This recipe has been in my file for over 15 years and this was the first time I made it!

OH HOW I'VE BEEN MISSING OUT! 

I hung onto the recipe because it came from a Taste of Home magazine and I KNEW it would be tasty...I am always trying new recipes and now I must apologize to this one for ignoring it for so long. :-(

The combination of apples and winter squash always thrills my taste buds. 

I guess maybe I didn't jump right on this recipe, using butternut because...unlike sooo many others that I make, and love, this one had to be peeled. 

Normally I poke holes in the squash and cook it in the microwave until tender, then scoop the 'meat' out, already cooked for me.  

This time I choose one of the smaller squash we'd just gotten from a local farm family. I cut it in half, width wise, and then stood it on the flat side and peeled it downward with a knife. It wasn't nearly as bad I thought it would be. 

After that, it was fairly simple.  It just takes time, so if you plan ahead and get your squash cut up, then the rest of it goes together pretty quickly. 

(I have read you can microwave it for a few minutes {be sure to poke a few holes in it first} and that softens the skin, but I read that AFTER I made this recipe...that's for next time!)

I had a can of no-sugar added apple pie filling that worked great for this dish. 
I think you could probably pass this off as a dessert!

Very tasty...I do hope you'll try it soon. 





BUTTERNUT APPLE CRISP 

3/4 c. packed brown sugar, divided
2 Tb. lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 - 4 c. peeled sliced uncooked butternut squash, about 1-1/2#
1 (20 ozs) can apple pie filling
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
6 Tb. butter or margarine, softened


Preheat oven to 375. Grease 6" X 10" X 2" baking dish. 


Combine 1/2 c. brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, squash and pie filling.  Spoon into prepared baking dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. 


Combine remaining 1/4 c. brown sugar, flour, oats, and margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 45 minutes longer or until squash is tender.  Serve warm.

Linked to
              Full Plate Thursday
      Kitchen Thyme
          Meal Plan Monday
         Weekend Potluck


Yield: 8 servings




Just for grins...I wanted to share this BUTT-ernut squash I found on top of a pile at a farmer's market last fall - we've had sooo many giggles over this one and God's amazing sense of humor.  *-*





Print Friendly and PDF



You may also enjoy this very popular 

Butternut Squash Bake



Baked Acorn Squash with Cinnamon Apples


No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly