Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping!

I didn't get this posted at holiday time so thought you might like to make this luscious dish for Easter??!!

These are perfection! So glad I saw this recipe at Stacey's Southern Bite.  I so appreciate his family values and humility. He has made #1 in the ranks of cookbooks sold on Amazon this year! Simple, down home cookin..you just can't go wrong with it!  

I adapted Stacey's recipe so if you want to see the original, go to the link above.

If you're looking for a special sweet tater side dish, this is it folks!

My mouth waters to think of it.  I REALLY enjoyed leftovers too after I served this for our family Thanksgiving brunch.

(The topping really is more crumbly than my photo.  I was in a rush and baked it a little longer after taking the photo...then everyone was ready to scarf, so this is all I've got)




SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PRALINE TOPPING 



3# sweet potatoes

(about 7 - 8 medium)
1-1/2 c. sugar
(I used 1 c.- xylitol works great)
1 tsp. vanilla 
2 lg. eggs
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 stick butter (4 Tb.) butter, softened


TOPPING: 

3/4 - 1 c. light brown sugar
(if using xylitol...add a tsp. of molasses)
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 - 3/4 c. chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350. Grease 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. 



Scrub sweet taters, then boil until fork-tender.  Cool; peel. 

(You can peel then boil them, but I think that's more work=)


In large bowl, mash potatoes until smooth.  Add sugar, vanilla, eggs, evaporated milk and butter; stir until blended. Pour into prepared dish. 



In small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, butter and pecans. Spoon mixture over the potatoes.  Bake 30 - 40 minutes until done. 



Linked to Weekend Potluck



You might also enjoy these side dishes..

Creamy Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes






Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly