Sunday, April 17, 2016

Wendi's Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here's another recipe I brought home with me from Florida and couldn't wait to make!  I made this the day after I made the Pound Cake

Wendi was a new friend I bonded with while in Florida.  What an interesting family. She and her hubby are early 40-ish, semi-retired, and they homeschool their very special son, Blake, age 9. I was SO impressed with all of them and all the amazing & practical things they teach their son, who is very polite and thoughtful as well. 

Their home is New Hampshire, but Wendi's hubby, Bob, has a brother in a neighboring state (to me), so we hope to get connected up here in the North sometime. 

Wendi and I could talk 'recipes' by the hour...and sometimes we did.
This was the first recipe of hers she told me about, and sweetly brought me a plate of these cookies, unbeknownst to her that I had been to the dr. that day for bronchitis and was so sick.  These cookies were such a day brightener for me. 

Wendi says the key to having these turn out 'just right' is to underbake them, and to let them cool a bit on the cookie sheet then remove them to a cooling rack. 

(hover over photo to pin)

I was so blessed to get to know this family...to spend time laughing, talking with all of them and enjoying time together at poolside. Especially to see how well they were loved and fit in at this RV park with mostly older folks...like us. I feel like I could write a chapter of a book to share all the things I love and appreciate about this family...and this special woman who has captured a special place in my heart.  (Another thing we have in common is that we both love crafts!=) 

Anyway - you'll thank me for sharing this recipe with you. I did change this recipe up a bit...her recipe calls for shortening and oleo...I used butter and coconut oil (in its solid form).  I always reduce the amount of sugar too, just because we don't need it, so feel free to use the full amount for maximum flavor!

I made a 'deposit' at the bank and delivered a plate of warm cookies through the outside deposit drawer.  The gals there were very grateful. And I got some great comments about them the next time I went to the bank.  =) 

These terrific cookies are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside...perfect for dipping in a glass of milk...while warm....YOWZA!! 



WENDI'S AWESOME CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES 



2/3 c. shortening (I used butter)

2/3 c. oleo, softened (I used coconut oil) 
1 c. white sugar
(I used 3/4 c.) 
1 c. brown sugar (packed)
(I used 3/4 c.) 
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
(I LOVE that about a cookie recipe)
3 c. all purpose flour 
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped nuts, optional
1 (12 ozs) bag chocolate chips 


Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, mix shortening and oleo with sugars, eggs and vanilla; combining until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. 



Drop dough by rounded teasponsful 2" apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 8 - 9 minutes or until golden brown, and not quite 'set'. 

Remove from oven and let stand to finish 'baking' for 2 minutes
before removing to cooling rack. 


Yield: about 5 dozen 


Linked to Full Plate Thursday
              Meal Plan Monday
             Weekend Potluck











Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly