Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chubby Hubby Bars

I have been intrigued by the name of this recipe for a long time.  I've seen it all over the internet...Pinterest...Just a Pinch Recipe Club...Foodie Blogs, etc. etc. 
I can't tell you how much I thought about this recipe before actually making it!

One has to wonder...do we feed this to our hubby's to make them chubby?
WHAT IF THEY ALREADY ARE??? 

My solution to that problem?  Eat most of them myself!  
And what if I'm already chubby??? Hmmm...well, we won't go there. 

So when I saw these lovely bars at Brandie's blog The Country Cook, I just knew I was going to make my dreams come true and finally make this tasty dessert. 


Who could possibly resist that sweet and salty combo???????  NOT ME!!! 

This is a recipe being added to my 'make again' list - it's definitely a keeper.
(As all of Brandie's recipes are!) 


CHUBBY HUBBY BARS

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 lg. eggs
1/3 c. chunky peanut butter (optional)
1 TB. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c., semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
 1 1/2 c. chopped pretzels, divided
1/2 c. peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Put pretzels in a ziploc bag, and chop them up roughly.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In large bowl, using a mixer, beat together butter, light brown sugar and white sugar at medium speed. Mix until combined and fluffy.

Add eggs, vanilla and peanut butter (if using).  On low speed, slowly add flour mixture just until it is incorporated into the batter.

Add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped pretzels.
Stir this mixture with a spoon, batter will be very stiff.
Be sure not to overmix it.

Spread batter into baking pan. Batter will be thick.

In a small bowl, mix together remaining toppings: 1/2 cup chopped pretzels, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips.  Sprinkle mixture over top of batter.

Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares. (If you can possibly wait!!!)


Linked at Mop it up Monday
            Mix it up Monday
               Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday
           Thursday's Treasures
       Creative Thursday
           Weekend Potluck
            Foodie Friends Friday

9 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh and Wowsers!! Do these ever look decadent. Have a great week, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned these to try! They sound wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would definitely turn into "Chubby Wife Bars" in my house! YUM! So happy you linked up Mop It Up Mondays!! Featuring you today at The Tuesday Ten: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/10/the-tuesday-ten.html {HUGS}, kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my hubby would love, love, love these! No wonder there called Chubby Hubby Bars! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound wonderful! I love the sweet and salty combo. Thanks for sharing on Foodie friends Friday. Please come back Sunday and vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! My favorite combo is the sweet and salty so I'll definitely be making some. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these and am really disappointed :-( They are VERY dry and crumbly. Can't figure out what might have gone wrong. I did try using 1/4 c Truvia baking mix rather than the 1/2 c. sugar. Can't imagine it would make this kind of difference. It's like there wasn't enough liquid. Could the pretzels have been too finely chopped maybe??

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly