Sunday, February 22, 2015

Caramelized Nuts {Sugar Free}

What a special treat to share, especially with someone having to watch their sugar intake. 

I have a new blogging friend and I am learning a lot of cool and 'healthy' recipe ideas. This is the first recipe of his I made, and I plan to try several more. 

Arman is author of The Big Man's World...and lives in Australia!
He's very funny and we have become friends at Facebook, so he manages to humor me often.  We became acquainted after he began linking up recipes at our weekly Weekend Potluck party. 

I'd love for you to pop over and pay him a visit...and tell him I said hello. 
I published a guest post by Arman earlier this month...
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Brownies...take a peek...and a lick! 

My dear hubby is diabetic, but most of everything I made over the holidays were sweets he can't freely enjoy.

So when I saw this recipe, I had to make it for him.  He loved the nuts and it gave him something good to snack on, while he gazed at all the other sweets being created, and pushed off on others during the month of December. *-*

I am sure you could use regular sugar if that's your preference, but I can tell you these turned out great using a substitute.  Arman uses one called Norbu.
I've never heard of it (maybe it's only available in Australia?) but I used my trusted xylitol, and it worked just fine.  You can also use coconut palm sugar or Stevia baking blend, per Arman. 

Do try this recipe - it makes for a great snack. Great for any time of year, especially if you're looking for a healthier treat. 



CARAMELIZED NUTS (SUGAR FREE)

3 c. raw nuts
(I used mixed nuts)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tb. cinnamon
(I used about 2 tsp.)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. xylitol, coconut palm sugar or Stevia baking blend
1/4 c. water

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add all the ingredients, except for the nuts. Mix until combined. Allow to heat, stirring occasionally. 

When sweetener is dissolved, add the nuts and stir until fully mixed. Continue stirring often until nuts have been coated and are starting to crystallize. 

Remove from heat and allow to sit for 1 - 2 minutes. Stir again and pour on a plate or cutting board to cool. 

For larger cluster portions, allow to sit for 10 minutes before stirring.  Nuts may be stored in airtight container. (Hubby kept his right by his favorite chair=). 

Linked to Weekend Potluck
You might also enjoy...







Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly