Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pineapple Beets

I've been making this delectable dish since my kids lived at home...that's a long while ago!

(Hover over imagine to pin) 

I always loved 'dressing up' veggies...sure, anyone can cook carrots or beans, add some butter, and serve them, but
we enjoyed things like Cheese Scalloped Cabbage and 

I just had a hankerin' to add some 'love'....and we all enjoyed it.
We always had lots of company and it was fun to serve something with a 'special touch'....

My kids weren't fussy eaters at all...
I think they would tell you they ate pretty good around our table growing up. 

Fresh beets are in season right now and hubby and I have enjoyed them a couple of times already - they're SOO tasty.

I was reminded of this special dish and wanted to share with you so you could enjoy these 'dressed up beets' too...it only takes a few simple ingredients.

You can use fresh or canned...either way they are out of this world wonderful!
If you like beets, you are going to LOVE this dish. 

For those of you who have my first cookbook..."Recipes & Recollections"...
this recipe is on page 36. 


PINEAPPLE BEETS 

1 (12 ozs) can pineapple chunks
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. cider vinegar
3 - 4 Tb. brown sugar
1 TB. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
2 (15 ozs. each) cans sliced, drained beets
(or use about 3-1/2 c. fresh cooked) 

Drain juice from pineapple; mix with water and vinegar.  Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, salt and ginger in medium saucepna; add vinegar mixture.  Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add beets; heat to boiling.  Just before serving; mix pineapple into hot mixture and warm. 

Yield: 6 - 7 servings 
(or 3 or 4 if you REALLY love beets) 















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly