Sunday, September 13, 2015

Terrific Texas Sheet Cake

I know this is a classic dessert, but I don't have the recipe on my blog and did want to share the way I've made it for years. 

This has been a favorite family recipe since my kids were young.  I remember sitting in my mom's kitchen going through her recipe files before we left for the Air Force, (our second child, Dan, wasn't quite 1 yet) and this was one of those special keepsake recipes...though I didn't know it would be at the time!

(hover over image to pin) 

So when our youngest son, Dave,  stopped by and I showed him this awesome 
Island-Ware Half Sheet Jelly Roll Pan  that I'd been sent to review...
Dave thought filling it with Texas Sheet Cake would be a great 
way to use it.

And...since my hubby's birthday was drawing near, that's just what I did. 

I actually made 1-1/2 X this recipe, then removed about 
1/2 c. of batter, so it wouldn't overflow.

It turned out perfectly even and I was able to top it with a thick,
rich fudgy frosting.  Oh.So.Good!

You can 'jazz' it up by replacing part of the water with coffee....and using it in the frosting too. 

(hover over image to pin) 

TEXAS SHEET CAKE 

1/2 c. margarine or butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. Crisco
4 Tb. baking cocoa
1 c. water
(May use part coffee)

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk 
(click here for substitute)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. white sugar
(I use 1-1/2 c. and it's great)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400*. Grease and flour a jelly roll pan - 11" X 15" X 1". Place margarine, Crisco, baking cocoa and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to rolling boil; remove from heat and let cool while placing remaining ingredients in large bowl.  Pour slightly cooled chocolate mixture over the flour mixture and blend well. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 15 - 18 minutes.  Prepare frosting; pour hot frosting over hot cake.  Let cool before cutting into squares. 

FROSTING: 

6 Tb. margarine or butter
2 heaping Tb. baking cocoa 
4 Tb. milk
1# powdered sugar 
1 tsp. vanilla extract 
1 c. chopped nuts

Place margarine, cocoa and milk in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and by hand, stir in powdered sugar (about 3-1/2 c.), vanilla and chopped nuts. Stir until smooth. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck


Peanut Butter Sheet Cake




Luscious Lemon Sheet Cake (3 Ingredients)




Pumpkin Sheet Cake








Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly