Monday, March 7, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Breakfast from Halfmysize.com

(HA - I just learned this morning that today is National Cereal Day!  How about that?  I had already posted this beforehand.  I love it when that happens!=)

Something else I realized just this morning...this is my #300th post! YOWZA!
I'm sure my daughter is giggling because when she first set this blog up for me, I told her I couldn't imagine that I could come up with many posts??? Thanks Deb for having faith in me...=)

We love oatmeal at our house, and often enjoy it for our Sunday evening meal.  With whole wheat toast - MMM!   I love the crunchy texture along with the soft.

I'm trying to eat it a little more often after having been told my cholesterol is a tad high.

I was tickled to find this recipe in this great cookbook, especially because I've been making my own version for some time.

I can't imagine anyone - especially kids - not wanting to woof this down.

My mom would surprise us by putting a few chocolate chips under our oatmeal, so when we stirred it, it turned chocolate-y.  What a special treat!

My Grandma always fixed us oatmeal with raisins when she'd come to visit.

I still love those plumped up raisins!  Always reminds me of my grandma.  (She always seemed to burn our toast too, so I am rather fond of toast on the darker side even now!)  

Funny how that works huh?

Anyway - my version...that I have dubbed "No Bake Cookie Oatmeal' is prepared this way...


I

I hope that doesn't look disgusting to you! 

Once you know what it is, I think you'll say MMMM too!

I measure out my oatmeal and water according to package directions - I do prefer the old- fashioned oats with some real texture to them, but whatever kind you prefer is fine.  

Cook it in the microwave, then when I'm ready to eat it, I plop in a TB. of peanut butter, and add atleast 1 TB. LITE chocolate syrup.

Stir and you're ready to enjoy dessert for breakfast.

FYI - I compared calories/fat of the ff cocoa mix to the lite chocolate syrup...
The cocoa mix has 50 cals/0 fat per envelope
The LITE syrup contains 45 cals/.5 fat per 2 Tb.

So it really shouldn't change the nutritional value much at all.

Here's the original recipe:

CHOCOLATE OATMEAL BREAKFAST
(From Halfmysize.com and The Better Baker)

1/2 c. (instant) oatmeal
1 env. fat free hot cocoa mix with calcium
1 Tb. reduced-fat peanut butter
1/2 - 3/4 c. water
dash of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat until thick or microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Serve warm. Serves 1.

Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 285; Fat: 8 gr.; Fiber: 5 gr.

Give it a try - and get healthy while enjoying this tasty dish.

2 comments :

  1. I am so EXCITED to try this for breakfast! I will post on my blog with a link back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. made it! linked back to you :)
    http://successful2gether.blogspot.com/2011/03/chocolate-peanut-butter-oatmeal.html

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly