Monday, April 25, 2011

Our Easter Brunch

Trust all of you enjoyed a lovely Easter weekend and are 'recovering' nicely. *-*

Last week, my good blogging friend, Lark of
me in a 'virtual' Easter dinner Round up...

I simply didn't have time to put it all together with pictures, so I figured I would go ahead and share what we really had for our Easter family get together.

We like to do brunch with our kids on Saturdays - it gives both our daughter-in-loves freedom to plan something with their own families, and frees us up on Sundays...as they are normally a busy day in our lives.

Sooo I thought I'd share some pictures/recipes from our meal...I would love to get a glimpse of the dishes you enjoyed with you and yours too.

I found this adorable 'nest' recipe at Once a Month Mom  It was easy to make - using shredded wheat, coconut and melted chocolate.  It was our edible centerpiece and was a real hit.

I looked at many ideas, and am so happy I chose this simple recipe. I would highly recommend it to anyone.  Check out the recipe and ideas at the link above. 


This is Sunshine Punch - I loved the name too!
It was delicious and sugar free too!

I will share this recipe in a post later this week...

We also enjoyed ham and havarti croissants. I've previously shared this in a recipe post on my blog...it was the first time my family had tasted them and I did hear quite a few raves!! 

I also made some using turkey as a few family members aren't wild about ham...both flavors were wonderful. 

Melt-in-Your-Mouth goodness!

We tried french toast made with hawaiian bread.  It was delicious.
The recipe can be found here at Cooking with K
This is her picture there...


We had ham and cottage potatoes (cheesey) that my family expects for all our get togethers. It's a dish I have fond memories of my mom making often.

Instead of adding water to the pan before putting the ham in the oven, I added ginger ale.  I'd read that recently and am not sure what it does, but the ham was terrific. I didn't measure, but mixed a honey/mustard/brown sugar glaze and poured over the top the last 30 minutes.  MMM!



COTTAGE POTATOES

10 lg. potatoes, cooked in skin (I used red)
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 slice fresh bread, torn into pieces
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
8 Tb. margarine, melted, divided
1/4 c. milk
2 c. crushed corn flakes


Cool potatoes - peel and cut into bite sized chunks.  Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2.5 qt. baking dish. Mix together potatoes, onion, salt, bread and cheese.  Mix with 6 TB. melted margarine and place into prepared dish. Pour milk over potatoes. 

Topping:

Mix corn flakes with remaining margarine and spread evenly over top.  Bake uncovered for 35 - 45 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

For a flavor boost - may add small can of chopped pimentos.
(That's how my mama always made this dish, but I have too many picky eaters in this family to try it =)

We also enjoyed some fresh fruit and a cream cheese/marshmallow cream dip.


That fresh pineapple sure was delicious with the ham!

We enjoyed Cookies & Cream Brownies from Mandy's Recipe Box for dessert.

I crushed Nutter Butter cookies on top of brownie batter before baking.  I didn't add the glaze and they were plenty sweet for us.  What a delicious idea!  I don't know why I haven't thought of it before.



Our daughter-in-loves both brought dishes too, so we had more than enough to enjoy.

I will share another post later this week showing the craft idea my granddaughters made.  It was so cute & so fun...not to mention delicious!

Hope you all get caught up on your rest and have a wonderful week ahead.





5 comments :

  1. Wow! What a spread Marsha! I would enjoy it, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures...my goodness, what a feast. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable Easter. If I would have known all that food was going to be at your house, I would have brought my family there....
    I love the idea of the edible nest. The other half of my family is coming next weekend. I may have to surprise them with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.... I have been DYING to say that! (lol) It looks as if you had your bellies full as well as your soul's this Easter!

    Love ya Lady!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly