Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My husband loves fresh pineapple, but doesn't care for it from a can...unless it's baked.


I had just bought a can of canned pineapple rings the week before seeing this recipe at A'lil Country Sugar , so of course I HAD to try this great recipe.


We both loved it.

I lightened it up for our dietary needs, so I will share those changes in BOLD font within the recipe.

MMMMMMelt in Your Mouth Goodness!



PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
(From The Better Baker and A'lil Country Sugar)

1/4 c. butter  (nothin's better than butter=)
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
(I substituted with 2 Tb. brown sugar splenda {equal to 1/4 c.) + 1/3 c. packed brown sugar - mixed together before sprinkling over melted butter)
1 can (16 ozs.)  sliced pineapple - in heavy (light) syrup
maraschino cherries
1/2 c.(1/4 c.) chopped walnuts or pecans
1-1/3 c. flour
1 c. white sugar (I used 1/2 xylitol)
1/3 c. shortening
3/4 c. milk (I used 1%)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I omitted)
1 egg (I used 2 egg whites)


Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in 10" round baking pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar ove melted butter. Arrange pineapple on top with cherry in center.  Sprinkle nuts on top (or fill in around pineapple rings). Beat remaining ingredients on low for 30 seconds, then on high for 3 minutes.  Pour over pineapple.  Bake 45 - 50 minutes. (I baked for 35 minutes...splenda always bakes faster).

Linked to Totally Tasty Tuesday
              Made it on Monday

9 comments :

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed the cake, and you fixed the recipe. Now I can make a healthy version. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your background choice....so fresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your recipes because they fit my health issues and I know when I make them they are both delicious and healthy. Keep them coming. I have been wanting a healthy version of Pineapple Upside Down Cake and I was so happy when I saw this recipe in my e-mail this morning. I need a few ingredients that I'm lacking to make this cake, so I'm off to the store today. Thanks for sharing your version of the recipe.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Anonymous - thanks a million for your lovely comment that brightened my day. Wish I had your email so I could send you a note...do hope you'll see this. Thanks for your kind words...I'm thrilled to know I can be helpful to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had this type of cake in a long, long time! Thanks for another great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this does look good!
    Thanks for sharing it so the rest us us can drool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you enjoy the peanut butter bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it...but I've never made one! Yours looks so yummy. The rings just make it pretty, too...don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my Dad's favorite cakes! I was wondering what to do for him for Father's Day. Now I know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly