Friday, July 15, 2011

Apple Blueberry Crisp

I'm SO excited to be doing a guest post at Lark's Country Heart today - sharing TWO more blueberry recipes.  Check it out at the link above...


I am partial to blueberries - they are so good for you! Since they're in season now, I'm using them in recipes often.

Blueberries are rich in Vitamins A, C, E and beta-carotene as well as rich in the minerals potassium, manganese, magnesium. They are very high in fiber and low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. But this is just the tip of the nutritional iceberg, for recent studies tell us that of all fresh fruits and vegetables, blueberries provide the most health-protecting antioxidants, those valuable elements which prevent cancer-causing cell damage and may limit the changes wrought by age related diseases.

WOW huh? 

So...I was excited when I came across this recipe, as I had some apples that needed to be eaten.

I honestly can't recall where the recipe came from.

This is a great combo of flavors.  The recipe calls for orange juice concentrate to be added to the fruit. It's very tasty.

And I always enjoy a crunchy oatmeal topping with fruit...and ice cream too.

I listed my changes below in bold print.




APPLE BLUEBERRY CRISP
(From The Better Baker)

4 c. peeled and sliced tart apples
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 c. packed brown sugar (I used 2 Tb. Brown Sugar Splenda)
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
2 TB. all purpose flour (I used 3 Tb. because I used frozen berries)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
(I added about 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg also)

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 9" X 9" square baking dish with non stick cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine all these ingredients and pour into prepared pan.  

(Doncha just love it when you can mix all the ingredients at once?!  And by hand? I do!)




TOPPING:
1 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
(I used 1/4 c. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
2 Tb. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 c. cold butter, cubed

Combine first 4 ingredients in medium bowl; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; sprinkle over fruit.
(I added about 1/3 c. more oats)

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.


BERRY DELICIOUS!

                               Fit & Fabulous Friday
         Made it On Monday
             This Week's Cravings

4 comments :

  1. YUMMMMMY!!! And that's all I'm say'n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I never thought of combining apples and blueberries for a Crisp Dessert! Yum! Looks delish! :)

    I hope you're having a great weekend, Marsha! We're heading to a big pig roast today. It should be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good crisp--this looks like a great combo. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is still one more day to link up BLUEBERRY recipes to our linky party and I LOVE your blueberry recipe! We hope you can stop by before Midnight tomorrow and link up! THANKS SO MUCH! :-)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/07/this-weeks-cravings-37-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly