Friday, July 8, 2011

Baked Waffles with Raspberry Cream Cheese



Oh my Ya'll! 

You're gonna love this tasty dish.....I found it in a Cooking with Paula Deen magazine and feel like I've 'struck gold' with this one!

(My friend Lois, took me to Chicago for my birthday a few years ago.  We saw Paula Deen Live and laughed ourselves absolutely silly.  I want to be just like Paula when I grow up! I love her sweet spirit and that she's always so 'common and every day'. Her recipes are mighty fine too.) 

I had to have TWO pieces of this for breakfast. It's so delicious! No way could I stop at one. *-*



I changed up the recipe a tad because I had raspberries on hand and had frozen waffles that needed to be eaten too, so this was the perfect dish for me to make.

Ya'll know I'm a big-time cream cheese hound!

My waffles were round and they worked fine, but I would suggest using square ones, just because they fill in the pan better.

I also used Splenda brown sugar blend and sugar free syrup.  No one would have ever guessed. 

I can't imagine it tasting a bit better than it did already!!

I love that it's an overnight dish so it's wonderful for brunch or lunch...any time of day!

It was simple to put together - no hassle.  Your older kids could even make this one.

I'm sure blueberries, or even apples, would work in this recipe.  Make it your family's favorite choice.

BAKED WAFFLES WITH RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE


8 frozen buttermilk waffles
4 Tb. cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 c. sliced fresh raspberries (or strawberries)
(I cut the raspberries in half, but you wouldn't have to)
1-1/4 c. milk
6 lg. eggs
1/4 c. maple syrup (I used sugar free)
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
(I used 1/4 c. Splenda brown sugar blend)
1/2 c. butter
Garnish: fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 350. Arrange waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Toast for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Spray an 11" X 8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Line waffles in a single layer on the bottom of dish.  Spread cream cheese over waffles.  Top with raspberries. Arrange remaining waffles over raspberries. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and maple syrup.  Pour mixture over waffles.  Cover and chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 375. In a small saucepan, whisk together brown sugar and butter over medium high heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts.  Pour over waffles.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until set in the middle.  Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.  Top with additional raspberries if desired.

(Using Splenda, I baked mine about 22 minutes - be sure to start checking early for doneness)

              Made it on Monday
               Ingredient Spotlight
               Creative Thursday
              Mix it up Monday
            Breakfast Inspirations Monday
             Ingredient Spotlight - Berries
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Favorite Fruit
Weekend Potluck

15 comments :

  1. What a great idea! I love recipes that use berries or fruit that's in season. I just went strawberry & raspberry picking last week. This recipe looks easy and delicious!

    Love that Paula Deen, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simple tasty recipe. I know my family will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, this is my kind of breakfast. Simple and it has cream cheese! Goodness. Thank you for sharing it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY FLIPPING HECK Marsha....I LOVE this clever idea! So glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! This is just really cool and looks mouthwatering delicious! I adore raspberries and you know how to put them to great use. I'm new here and will enjoy following your blog. I'm a buckeye at heart, from Pickerington.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to buy waffles and make this...great for a brunch dish! Blessing, K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh.. this is going on the menu! YYYUUUMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love raspberries and this look amazing! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see Paula Deen! She is one classy lady. This looks like one yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding new casserole type breakfast dishes. This looks divine. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this recipe! I'll use some of our leftover waffles... you have me excited for this breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I have leftover waffles frozen from the recipe I shared. I am like a freak for berries...all kinds, but especially raspberries. I need to make this tomorrow morning!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly