Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beloved Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

This recipe is definitely a beloved family favorite.

Both my daughter-in-loves make this often for their families.

A revised version of this recipe made it into my cookbook.  It has added peanut butter and peanuts.

It's something I've made for many years after writing the recipe into a 'make your own' cookbook. The page is very stained and torn out of the book.  The corner of the page has been taped back together...

Yet it's very treasured just the same.

Like family should be...loved and accepted as we are. 

This is what the dough looks like before baking.

And this is the beautiful bread after baking - MMM!


BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD

2-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/4 c. sugar (I use half Splenda) - it bakes faster
1/2 c. oil (I use half applesauce)
3 eggs  (I use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites)
1-1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
3 Tb. sour milk
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325. Generously grease 4 - 6"X3"X2" foil loaf pans. (Or use 2 medium & 1 small)  In medium bowl, stir flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In large mixer bowl, at medium speed, beat sugar, oil & eggs; add bananas, then milk; beat in flour mixture at low speed just until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.  If using medium pans, begin checking after 35 minutes. I don't really have baking time written down, so just keep checking - with a toothpick stuck in the middle - to see if they're done. 

Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to rack to cool.  Store overnight before serving. 

These loaves freeze nicely.

Or bake them as muffins - about 15 - 20 minutes...YUM!


Hints:  To make your own sour milk, add about 2-1/2 TB. milk to a bowl, stir in 1/2 tsp. vinegar; let stand about 5 minutes. (I use 1% milk).

I freeze my bananas whole, in the peel.  Just thaw and they pop right out of the peel.  This adds a lot of moisture to anything being baked.




Print Friendly and PDF



                 Ingredient Spotlight

9 comments :

  1. Ummm! This is one of my favorites! I could eat a nice thick slice of sweet bread every day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family recipes are the best especially ones that look as delicious as this. Thanks for sharing the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so excited to try this! Just printed off the recipe. It sounds so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are in the oven now. I used half oil and half sour cream, I used 2 eggs and 1T of ground flax sead, and I substituded 1/2 of the flour for whole wheat flour and used mini choc chips. Can't wait till they come out of the oven! My granddaughter is a banana muffin eater! I did add some pecans after I dipped hers out. She's not a nut eater! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha...we love Banana Bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the chocolate banana combo and have made a similar recipe many times! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We must be on the same wave length! I baked chocolate chip banana bread over the weekend! I put a browned butter glaze on it. Heavenly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bread looks amazing! Chocolate and banana can't be beaten - and it looks so wonderfully moist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    This is a great Banana bread, with yummy chocolate chips, I love this combination. I really enjoyed your guest post over at Larks, great post! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Hope you are having a great week end.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly