Monday, August 1, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts in honor of my friend Rosie


Today I'm celebrating a very special gift...
TO MY DEAR FRIEND ROSIE!

We're getting to celebrate today by going to lunch together too!  We live busy lives and don't get to see each other very often, so it'll be a royal treat.
This is a picture of us taken together at one of my first booksignings, a year ago this month.

She's always been a great cheerleader & support in my life!


I got this recipe from 'Rosie Posie' many years ago.



She has made this dish for alot of ladies get togethers and always takes home an empty plate.


Rosie and I have dubbed ourselves..."Mary & Martha"...as in the Biblical sisters.

We truly are sisters of the heart and soul.

 We are a great pair & work together so nicely...what one doesn't think of, the other will.

I love being on a team with her.

Imagine how horrible I felt realizing...AFTER my cookbook was published...that I had somehow omitted this recipe from my beloved collection.

{AAARRRRGH!!!!}

So I thought it would be appropriate for me to share her special recipe today....beings its her birthday and all.

I know the sauce combination sounds a bit strange, but trust me, it's more
than wonderful. 

I honestly could eat these until I was sick...it's so difficult to stop!

A delicious, tangy & crunchy snack for any get together.

IF YOU HAVEN'T EVER TRIED THESE BEFORE, YOU JUST GOTTA DO IT NOW!



BACON WRAPPED WATER CHESTNUTS
(From The Better Baker - and friend Rosie)

2 - 8 ozs. cans whole water chestnuts, drained 
1# bacon, cut into 1/3's
toothpicks


SAUCE:
3/4 c. mayonnaise (I prefer Miracle Whip)
3/4 c. ketchup
1-1/2 c. brown sugar (or less)


Preheat oven to 375. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine sauce ingredients.

Wrap one piece of bacon around each chestnut. Secure the bacon with a toothpick. Arrange the water chestnut wraps in a 9x13 inch baking dish or cookie sheet. (lining it with foil makes for easier cleanup)  


Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and drain grease. Pour the sauce over the wraps.


Bake for 30 to 35 more minutes or until brown and crispy.




I've read other variations that suggest...soak the chestnuts in soy sauce before wrapping in bacon for a flavor boost...cook a couple of minutes in microwave after wrapping bacon to remove some grease...use chili sauce instead of ketchup.


It's all amazingly wonderful!




2 comments :

  1. I love bacon wrapped chestnuts, but have never had them with a sauce like that. Sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of these, but never with a recipe like this one....I'm going to have to give it a try. Happy Birthday Rosie!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly