Friday, August 5, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

It's that time of year, and if you have access to zucchini, you're probably always looking for 'another' recipe to try to eat it up.

We still laugh over this experience...when we moved to Spokane, WA (military orders) in 1985, one thing we looked for in a place to call home, was that we wanted a garden spot.  

Not only did we buy our first home with a big garden spot, the house also had a "B" on the front door - we were destined to live there!!

Well....we were also blessed with a friend in our church who worked for a seed company, and we got ALL the garden seeds we wanted...for FREE!

YOWZA!

That made it even more fun! (Not to mention crazy!)

So...not being aware how zucchini multiplies...sweet hubby planted NINE hills of zucchini - five seeds in each!

OH MY SOUL!

I think the neighbors were locking their doors when they saw us coming with more zucchini in hand.  ha


We had more than what you would consider an overabundance, and that was the first, and only year, that planting system was implemented.

So I really do have many zucchini recipes, and this one is a favorite.

I love recipes, like this one, when you can 'hide' something healthy in it...and no one knows!

I use my 'regular' zucchini bread recipe, and exchange some of the flour for some baking cocoa instead, to make it chocolate!

And it's wonderful.



Hope you'll grate some and give this a 'stir' soon...you'll be so glad you did!


CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs, beaten
1 c. oil (I use 1/2 applesauce)
1-1/2 c. white sugar (I use 3/4 c. xylitol + 3/4 c. sugar)
2 c. raw, unpeeled zucchini, grated fine
2-1/2 c. white whole wheat or all purpose flour
1/2 c. baking cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, optional
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. finely chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 large of 4 - 5 small loaf pans.  Place eggs, oil, sugar and zucchini in blender and blend well.  In medium bowl, place flour, baking cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder. Stir wet mixture into dry and blend with electric mixer, just until moistened. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 35 - 55 minutes, testing with toothpick for doneness.
(Smaller loaves bake faster). Let cool a couple of minutes then turn out of pans onto rack to cool.

(I like to wrap the warm bread in foil - it seems to add moistness).
Allow it to cool to room temperature before freezing.  

I used my 'regular' zucchini bread recipe and exchanged 1/2 c. flour for the baking cocoa.  If you prefer a non-chocolate bread, feel free to omit the cocoa and use that much flour instead.  

Linked to Wonka Wednesday



6 comments :

  1. I've made chocolate zucchini bread before and loved it. It's amazing how you'd never even know there's zucchini in it. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely going to be placed at the top of my "to try" list. And funny story about the zucchini....thank you so much for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we are really thinking alike today! I promised on my blog that I would post my recipe tonight! ha. It's a yummy way to use up zucchini!
    How fun that you moved into a house with a B on the door. Love little things like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, this looks SO good! I've been wanting to try a recipe like this for awhile. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS LOOKS GREAT AND YUP-ALWAYS TRYING TO FIND MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES!!! HAHAAA

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good! I have a lot of zucchini this year from only ONE plant! I can't imagine how many you had from all those seeds! Sharing on my Walking on Sunshine FB page this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly