Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Coconut Rhubarb Dessert

A friend recently 'recycled' one of those little cookbooks at the checkout stand at all grocery stores by sharing it with me.  It was a Taste of Home cake mix cookbook and this
was the first recipe I tried.  Delicious and easy.  

I'm able to pick rhubarb from my sister-in-love's garden so we enjoyed fresh rhubarb twice this spring...I put the rest in the freezer. 

I have a couple more rhubarb recipes I want to share with you soon. 

I love these recipes like this that you can use fresh or frozen rhubarb. 

This is de-lish!  Go for it! 


COCONUT RHUBARB DESSERT 

4 c. sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1-1/2 c. sugar
(use your favorite sugar substitute if desired - I used all xylitol)
1-1/2 c. water 
1/8 tsp. red food coloring, optional
1 (28 ozs) pkg. butter pecan cake mix
(I used coconut cake mix - Duncan Hines)
2 c. flaked coconut
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. butter, melted
vanilla ice cream, optional

In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, water and food coloring if desired. Cook over medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender; cool slightly. Transfer to a greased 9" X 13" baking dish; sprinkle with dry cake mix.  Top with coconut and pecans.  Drizzle with butter.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Serve with ice cream. 

TIP FROM TASTE OF HOME TEST KITCHEN: 
Look for rhubarb stalks that are crisp and brightly colored.  Tightly wrap in a plastic bag and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Wash the stalks and remove the poisonous leaves before using.  One pound yields about 3 cup chopped. 

Linked to Totally Tasty Tuesday
     Weekend Potluck
          Ingredient Spotlight - Cake Mix
Meal Plan Monday

3 comments :

  1. Another great lookin' dessert, Marsha! Love your new Patriotic background! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at rhubarb....I love any kind of rhubarb dessert. I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took a ton of rhubarb from my grandma's house and had no idea what I was going to do with it..now I know. xo

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly