Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cucumber Spread

This would be a wonderful dish to make for the upcoming holiday weekend!!

I had just told my husband the day before I made this..."I'm not a cucumber girl"....

He loves all kinds of raw veggies.  I'm not as good about eating them. Whenever I get them on a salad when we eat out..hubby gets my cuke pieces! 

I prefer celery (with peanut butter of course!) and do eat cukes, but don't really enjoy them. 

THAT WAS THEN...THIS IS NOW...


Once I tried this fabulous recipe, I couldn't get enough of it!

And I had a good giggle because I first saw it several months ago at my dear blogging buddy Tonya's blog - 4 little Fergusons.  

And when I checked out her link, it led to another special blogging friend - Brandie - The Country Cook

I LOVE CHASING RABBIT TRAILS WHEN THEY LEAD TO SUCH GREAT FOLKS!!  TWO OF MY FAVORITE COOKS!! (AND two of my co-hosts at Weekend Potluck!) 

They both added more to the title of the recipe...

Cracker Spread... 
Cracker and Bagel Spread....
(An EVERYTHING bagel???  My oh my!!) 

You can call it anything you'd like...you'll enjoy it no matter what! 

(Reminds me of that saying...'you can call me anything you'd like, just don't call me late for dinner!')  OH YEH....

(Bear with me...I really am going to share a fabulous recipe...be patient please!) 

I have to admit I was surprised this recipe kept in the fridge for a few days.  Because cukes are watery I didn't expect it to last at all,
but I controlled myself and didn't eat it all up, just so I could 'test' it, and it passed the test! 

And I DID make a double batch! 

I thought it was sooo good when I first tasted it, but both gals insisted it would taste better after it set.  I could NOT believe how much that worchestershire jazzed up this recipe. 

This is great for serving with fresh veggies on the side too. 

Photo: 4 little Fergusons

CUCUMBER (CRACKER/BAGEL) SPREAD 

1 medium cucumber (peeled and cut into chunks)
3 green onions, chopped
1 (8 Oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
(I used lite)
1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

To make in the food processor: Place prepared onions in food processor.  Add chopped cucumber; cover and process until coarsely chopped.  Add cream cheese, worchestershire sauce and salt. Cover and process until smooth or a little chunky.  Transfer to a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend.

If preparing this by hand,  finely chop the cucumber and the green onions.  In a medium bowl combine cucumber, green onions, cream cheese, worchestershire sauce and salt.  Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.  Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend. I LOVED eating it right away, but it makes a big difference in flavor when you let it set overnight.

Serve on a toasted bagel or crackers. 

I enjoy it on cucumber slices. 

 Linked to It's a Piece O' Cake
            Creative Thursday
           Weekend Potluck
           Fit & Fabulous Friday
                Gooseberry Patch Roundup - 5 ingredients or less
            GBP Roundup - Farmers Market Favs




13 comments :

  1. Ooo, this is a favorite at our house for sure! I also have to make a double batch and it's still gone in a day or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a friends party recently and someone brought a cucumber spread. Unfortunately the girl would not share the recipe. Heres to hoping this one is like hers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same attitude about cucumbers as you do. The cucumber in a salad is usually pushed to the side and not eaten. But I do love taziki sauce in Greek dishes. Don't ask, I don't understand it either. I wonder if this would be close to resembling taziki sauce. I'm going to have to give this a try and find out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm crazy about spreads and I never get tired of cream cheese! Love your big pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks yummy! I make something similar and we use it as a sandwich spread! It's delish! I bet the cream cheese makes it really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious. I cannot wait to make this for my family. We have some many wonderful things going on this week. Stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! My "picky" 7 year old isn't crazy about cucumbers, but love cream cheese. I wonder if I can sneak a vegetable in him with this spread. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to the Piece of Cake Party. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha, I have never heard of cucumbers called chukes. Where did that originate? Tried this spread and love it. I to, do not like cucumbers but this is so good. Thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, looks good, think I'm gonna add some dill, I like cucumbers and dill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drooling for this Marsha! I added it to my "next week's meal plan ideas" but the board is getting so big, we'd have to eat 5 meals a day for met to get to every recipe in one week. AAA! So much good food, so little time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It only took me a month to get to "next week" but I finally made this tonight! I agree it's so good right away, but I tried not to eat too much so I could refrigerate it overnight and enjoy it after the flavors meld. Might have to have some for breakfast on celery and cucumber! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly