Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts (Easy Peasy)

When my out-of-town grandchildren recently came for an overnight visit, I had fun making some special dishes for breakfast the next morning.  

I squirted yogurt from a ziploc bag onto waxed paper to make little 'droplets' and froze them. 

They are refreshing and fun.  But I didn't get a photo of them. 

I also didn't get a photo of the pop tarts themselves, BUT...I did get photos of my cutsie granddaughters enjoying them.

These pastries are very simple to make and you can change them up however you'd like by using any favorite kind of jam, or nutella?

The frosting and sprinkles were a necessary part of the fun! 
I just wish I had taken time to tint it pink (princess color you know!=)

I just adore the 'family fun' type recipes I find at Everyday Mom's Meals.
She does Kid-Friendly meals alot. And I love them all. 

With a little supervision, older kids could make these themselves. 


For those of you who were use to seeing our Claira Ruth with curly hair...she's lost it as she's gotten older. 

What gorgeous eyes & sweet smile our 'Kaity Bel' has.
(She's always had straight hair=) 

(The girls are wearing new nighties nana got for them to spend the night. The hems are trimmed with a tulle ruffle.)

HOMEMADE POP TARTS 

1 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts 
Strawberry Jam
(I used Polaner no sugar added) 
1 can strawberry or vanilla frosting
sprinkles

Preheat oven to 400. Cut dough into 3-inch rectangles. On one side, spread jam leaving about 1/2-inch on all sides. Top with another rectangle. Using a fork, crimp the edges to close. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (or spray with cooking oil) and bake for 9-12 minutes until slightly browned. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack and place in fridge for about 5-7 minutes. (This will make frosting much easier...and we don't want those precious babes burning their mouths!). Spread frosting on; top with sprinkles.

Linked to Melt in your mouth Monday
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - 5 ingredients or less
Creative Thursday
It's a Piece O' Cake
Fabulous Friday
Mop it up Monday
Breakfast Ideas Monday
Scrumptious Sunday
Weekend Potluck
  Foodie Friends Friday
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Kid Friendly

11 comments :

  1. Cute girls! They look alike, too! ;)

    Your poptarts look like the real deal! How fun! My Alex loves poptarts...I'm book marking this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious granddaughters! Pop Tarts are a big deal in my house. I wonder if I could fool everyone by making home-made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so cute! I can't wait to try this recipe too...my kid's love pop tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granddaughters are precious! I would love to make these poptarts. I used to warm up some strawberry poptarts and melt a little margarine on top. Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pop tarts are my downfall so I will have to make this recipe for me! :-) I would love it if you would share this on my linky party
    http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/05/tout-it-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this recipe and I'm glad you tried it out. It looks like your cutie-pies loved their pop tarts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are good! Homemade Pop tarts, so clever. Your granddaughters are adorable! Just dropping in from the Crowded Kitchen to check this out. I would love to invite you to share this at Freedom Fridays. So hoping to see you there!
    PS I am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These poptarts look delicious! My daughter will love making her own now. Your Granddaughters are darling. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally going to try this later this week! My son eat poptarts for breakfast daily....would so not be my top pick for him but works with his food allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm featuring these this week over at Addicted to Recipes! Great treat for my kids (and hubby too!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hummm they look very great! Will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly