Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Baked Zucchini Sticks & Sweet Onion Dip

I've seen a few recipes for zucchini stix this summer, but this is the one I choose to try. So happy when I found it at Comfy Cuisine.

AND I'M SOOO GLAD I TRIED IT! YUUUMMMMM!!

The crunchiness of the zucchini matched with the yumminess of the sweet dip is amazing!  

Try em....you're sure to like them. 

(So sorry I didn't get a better photo of the amazing dip!)


BAKED ZUCCHINI STICKS & SWEET ONION DIP 

Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 medium sweet onion, about 1/2 pound, peeled and slice
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 c. mayonnaise


Salt and pepper to taste


Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over moderate heat, and add the sliced onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion soften, then caramelize.  Once the onions are a medium brown, remove from heat and add the vinegar.  Place the onions and vinegar into a small food processor.  Add the honey and mustard, and process or blend until smooth.  Add the mayo, and salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.



Zucchini Sticks:

3 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 3" long sticks
1 tsp. salt

1 c. Panko breadcrumbs

1/2 c. (freshly) grated Parmesan cheese

1 Tb. Oregano or Pizza Seasoning

Olive oil spray

1/2 cup egg substitute; or 2 large eggs; or 3 egg whites, lightly beaten



Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the tsp. of salt.  Let drain for 1 hour or longer; rinse and pat dryTry to cut them all about the same size.  (I cut away the middle and use that for soup.)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Spray baking sheet with olive oil spray.  Dredge sticks a few at a time in the egg, then roll in the crumb mixture.  Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet.  Drizzle with additional olive oil (optional).  Bake sticks for 12 minutes, turn over, and bake for an additional 8 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.

Serve with the fabulous sweet onion dip. 

The zucchini sticks are very tasty with ranch dressing also.

Linked to Creative Thursday
   Mop it up Monday
  Mix it up Monday
          Melt in your mouth Monday
        Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

6 comments :

  1. Oh my heavens! These just look heavenly! I would eat the entire batch for dinner, I'm sure. We'll have to see because I am totally making these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of food! Can't wait to try it, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, this looks so good!!! The dip sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks scrumptious! I love zucchini and haven't tried it baked instead of fried yet. I love the onion dip too. I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly