Sunday, September 9, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

I am such a sucker for anything pumpkin!

I love this time of year and want to make something 'fall-ish' every day. 
(I don't, but I want to!) 

I love to get pumpkin pancakes when we go out to eat, but when I saw this wonderful (& HEALTHY) recipe from Thriving Home Blog, I was very excited to make them myself.  These gals share a lot of great (& healthy!) recipes, parenting ideas, couponing how-to's and more.  If you've not checked them out before, please hop over and pay them a visit. 

These yummy pancakes are definitely fluffy and light - and with cinnamon and nutmeg in them, they scream "FAAALLLLL!"  *I* 


I loved that the recipe is also sugar free AND it uses coconut oil, which I love. It adds a touch of coconut that makes these mouth-watering!

Recipe makes about a dozen nice-sized pancakes, but if you want, double the recipe and freeze the ones you don't eat.  Just heat them up for breakfast and you'll make your family so happy. 

The night before I made them, I mixed the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients (separately of course) and mixed the two in the morning - fast & easy!

After we'd already woofed down our pancakes, I was excited to see this recipe for Cinnamon Syrup from The Southern Lady Cooks.  It calls for buttermilk and looks so tasty. 

I also have another post for Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes with Honey Cinnamon Butter if you care to check that out too. 

 

It's all good!  As far as I'm concerned, you just can't go wrong making pumpkin anything.  Especially when you can use healthy ingredients!



WHOLE WHEAT PUMPKIN PANCAKES 

2 c. whole wheat flour
(I use white whole wheat)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tb. brown sugar
(I used 12 drops liquid stevia)
2 c. 1% milk
4 tsp. melted butter (or coconut oil), plus more for skillet
2 eggs
1/2 c. canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
(I like pumpkin and added a heaping TB. more)
1 tsp. vanilla

In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and brown sugar; set aside. 

In medium bowl, combine the milk, butter, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. 

Pour wet ingredients into dry ones. Whisk together just until smooth, but do not overmix.  (If need be, add a little more liquid). 

Let the batter rest for about 5 minutes while you preheat your skillet with butter or oil. 

Cook batches on medium temperature until bubbles form on the surface. Flip and cook until golden brown.  

Serve warm with butter and maple syrup, or honey cinnamon butter. 

Linked to Mix it up Monday
Melt in your mouth Monday
Thursday's Treasures



4 comments :

  1. I LOVE pumpkin and your pancakes look wonderfully delicious!!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried pumpkin pancakes. I guess I better get on it! They look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOO with you. I love pumpkin anything!!! These pancakes sound amazing, Marsha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to be trying a new pumpkin pancake recipe out this weekend. Yours looks so good and that butter...YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly