Monday, November 5, 2012

Cranberry Apple Salad



I know most everyone has their favorite cranberry salad for the holidays, but this is one of mine and I wanted to share it. I've been making this one for many years.

It's simple and can easily be cut in half for a smaller family. 

I love the crunch of the apples, the creaminess of the mayo and the ease of making it. 

A great addition to a holiday meal to serve alongside ham or turkey. 

You can thank me later...


CRANBERRY APPLE SALAD

2 cans (1# each) whole cranberry sauce
2 c. boiling water
1 - 6 ozs. pkg. strawberry jello
(could use raspberry or cherry also) 
2 Tb. lemon juice
(I think this helps keeps the apples from turning brown)
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
1 c. mayonnaise
2 c. diced apples
1/2 c. chopped nuts 
(we prefer pecans over anything else)

Place cranberry sauce in saucepan on stovetop; melt over medium heat, being sure to stir.  Drain; reserving liquid & berries. Mix together cranberry liquid, boiling water & jello; stir until jello is dissolved.  Add lemon juice & salt. Chill until mixture mounds slightly on a spoon.  Add mayonnaise (a whisk works great for this step); beat until smooth.  Fold in cranberries, apples & nuts.  Pour into 2 qt. mold or dish. Chill overnight.  

Yield: 10 - 12 servings.

Linked at Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
   Scrumptious Sunday
Weekend Potluck


And just in case you've missed seeing it today, I am offering a free eCookbook to say thank you for all your support....recipes using canned or frozen dough. Some of my favorites - all easy and yummy!  It's just a 'taste' of more to come in the new year!  Many thanks to my amazing daughter Deb who put this together for me.  Click on link below. You can print it (6 pages) or you can keep it in a file on your computer. Enjoy!!

Delicious Easy Recipes Using Canned or Frozen Biscuits, Rolls and Dough