Sunday, December 9, 2012

Amish Peanut Butter - oh my!


I am excited to share several yummy recipes this week ideal for gift giving! I love giving AND receiving homemade gifts - whether they're from the kitchen or not - because giving away our time and ourselves always says L-O-V-E! 


If you missed my post from yesterday....

I hope you'll take time to read and glean some practical ideas...there are
some gift giving recipes there too. My daughter did an 'interview' with me a few years ago and I'm sharing once again...

Onto today's yummy recipe.....

We live in NW Ohio, close to Michigan and Indiana.  There are Amish folks within a few miles in both of those directions.  Very interesting people. We try not to gawk anytime we drive around their buggies on the road, but it's always fun to wave at each other as we travel along the same path...just in very different modes of transportation.  

We love going to Amish/Mennonite restaurants and when we do, they always have a jar of Amish peanut butter on the table for the homemade rolls. 

It's peanut butter mixed with marshmallow cream and a simple syrup and is oh so yummy...such a special treat.


It only takes a few minutes to make. I let mine sit out on the counter and gobble it up on toast. (Pumpkin spice swirl bread even!)  So you can make ahead for the holidays and have something on hand to give away. I suppose you could store it in the fridge, but make sure it's warm temperature when serving. 

So I was really! happy when I found this simple recipe at Lemons for Lulu and decided I was going to make some to give as gifts for Christmas.  It would be awesome, tucked in a basket along with apples or bananas, pretzels or maybe even homemade bread? (The Amish are SUPER at making delicious homemade breads and rolls!) 
Tanya at Lemons for Lulu made this as requested by her little girl for her birthday. Can you imagine a child asking for something like this?  I thought that was so sweet...she must REALLY like it huh?

I will confess: it's difficult to stop eating this fluffy treat by the spoonfuls!


AMISH PEANUT BUTTER 

1-3/4 c. brown sugar
(reduced from 2 c.)
1 c. water
2 Tb. corn syrup
1 tsp. maple syrup
2 c. peanut butter
1 - 16 ozs. marshmallow fluff 

In large saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, water, corn syrup and maple syrup.  Stir until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool to about 15 minutes. 

In a large bowl, combine peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. (I think it's easiest to stir it by hand (I used a curved rubber spatula)...it would be pretty thick for your mixer, unless you have one of those strong beautiful stand mixers). Add cooled sugar mixture gradually and stir until it's smooth and combined well. Pour into air tight containers. 

Depending on the size of your jars/containers, this would make enough for 2 - 4 gifts.  Recipe says it serves a total of 24. 

(I know it seems like it would make more, but when you're stirring that marshmallow fluff, the 'air' comes out and it gets 'smaller'.) 

Linked to Weekend Potluck



Linked to Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
Weekend Potluck
Foodie Friends Friday
Iron Chef Mom - Peanut Butter
GBP Roundup - Peanut Butter
Full Plate Thursday

8 comments :

  1. Wow, I never heard of this recipe! I have always been interested in the Amish. That's neat that you go to their restaurants. Thanks for sharing Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! You know me and peanut butter! What a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy sounding recipe!
    I love peanut butter!

    The Amish community have such wonderful recipes, I agree. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! That sounds divine! I am going to the grocery store tonight and will be making this up tomorrow. Our daughter is coming for a visit tomorrow night and her favorite food is peanut butter. :) Won't she be happy? Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha, I've never heard of Amish Penaut Butter! Wow, it sounds incredible!! When we lived in Ohio, we used to go camping at Mohican State Park every summer. This was near the Amish and we always ate at one of their restaurants. Their farms looked like a big patchwork quilt. Fun memories for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of Amish peanut butter. It sounds amazing! We are around 2 hours from Lancaster, PA and I love to visit there also! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's my kind of peanut butter....looks very yummmy! And I know my son would love it. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday. Congratulations for last weekend's win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sound of this...do you need to keep it refrigerated or does it have a good shelf life at room temp?

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly