Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Turkey & Wild Rice Soup



This was a very tasty soup I made after Thanksgiving.
I love boiling the turkey carcass after enjoying it.  It makes such a wonderfully rich soup. 

When I saw this awesome recipe from Tonya at 4 little Fergusons...I knew it would be a winner!  (Her recipes always are!)

I had a box of chicken flavored rice on hand so I used that instead of a box of wild rice, but I'm sure that would be very satisfying as well.  

Use what you have....make it YOUR family's way and enjoy every sip! 



TURKEY & WILD RICE SOUP 

1/4 c. butter (or Smart Balance spread) 
1-1/2 c. carrots, finely chopped 
2 stalks celery,  finely chopp
1 medium onion
1/2 c. flour
4 c. chicken broth
3 c. cooked wild rice {1 box Uncle Bens Is perfect
(I used chicken flavored rice mix I had on hand)
2 c. (fat-free) half-and-half
2 c. cubed turkey
1 tsp. dried parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook rice according to package directions. In large pot on stovetop, melt butter, then add carrots, celery and onion. Saute until tender, then stir in flour. Whisk broth and bring to a boil. Stir until thick, about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat, simmering a few minutes to allow flavors to blend. 


Serve with crackers, biscuits or rolls. 

Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Thanksgiving Leftovers 

7 comments :

  1. Too funny, I was looking for a wild rice soup recipe b/c I got a back through Foodie Pen Pals and would like to use it. And I'll have that turkey soon too! It was meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on such a use what I have kick lately and I love it!! The soup looks amazing!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy :) I love soup and love turkey soup...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! This looks so delicious, Marsha. Bookmarking this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks yummy!
    Saving to make later!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly