Thursday, February 28, 2013

Guest Post: Veronica's Cornucopia - Oreo Cookie Cake



Veronica is one of my newest blogging buds, but we've become fast friends through email. 

It's so fun to get to know more about other bloggers, and I have really enjoyed knowing Veronica more and appreciate her sense of humor and outlook on life. 

She has won a lot of Blue Ribbons at the Kansas State Fair...red, and white ones too.  So you just gotta know she knows her way around the kitchen. 

She's quite the cake baker/decorator also and when I saw her Oreo Cake, I asked if she'd be willing to share with my readers.

Thanks so much Veronica....'the stage' (um...the kitchen) is all yours Sweetie...



(holding her blue ribbon and sweepstakes-winning carrot cake!
She's so humble I had to ask about it! - Marsha) 


Hi, my name is Veronica, and like Marsha, I'm a good cook (well, I'm an OK cook) but I'm a better baker! I'm 32 years old and have been baking since I was about nine. It started out of necessity, because sweets weren't allowed in the house. Strangely enough, I discovered all the ingredients necessary for making them in the pantry, so without Mom's permission, I just started following the recipes I found in cookbooks and newspapers, and creating sweet treats for
myself
the whole family. Despite the "no sweets" rule, no one ever tried to stop me, most likely because my parents were too happy eating the fruits of my rebellion to protest!

Over time, my specialty became cake, and I've come a long way since my first cake that overflowed the pan and created a huge burnt mess on the bottom of our oven. Today I have won several ribbons at our state fair for my cakes (you can see some of my award-winning recipes here), and I'm happy to report I haven't burnt a cake on the bottom of the oven in over a year. :)

I'd like to share a blue-ribbon winner with you today that is the most popular recipe on my blog right now, despite having posted it almost 2 1/2 years ago! This Oreo Cookie Cake is stuffed with crushed Oreos both in the cake and in the frosting and despite not liking Oreos (sorry!), I love this cake. Love it! I don't know what it is about incorporating the Oreos into a white cake, but it is just so, so good. The icing in particular--I could just eat a bowl of it with a spoon.

Ready for the recipe? On your mark, get set, BAKE!



Oreo Cookie (or Cookies 'n Cream) Cake



Cake
1 Box white cake mix
Eggs, water and oil as called for on the box
~OR your favorite white cake recipe
15 Oreos, crushed

Frosting
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip, room temperature
15 Oreos, crushed
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract

Optional
extra Cool Whip & crushed Oreos for decoration

Cake: Grease and flour two 8" pans. Prepare cake according to package directions (or recipe directions), stirring in the crushed Oreos to the batter before dividing between prepared pans. Bake as directed on box or in recipe. Remove cake layers from oven and allow to cool completely on cooling rack.

Frosting: In mixer, cream the cream cheese and sugar. Add vanilla, mix well, and stir in Cool Whip. Mix well. Fold in crushed Oreos until well blended & frost cooled cake. If desired, pipe Cool Whip swirls around the top of the cake and pipe a border on the bottom, and sprinkle crushed Oreos over the Cool Whip. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve and refrigerate any leftovers.


* Cake may be baked in a 13 x 9 inch pan or you can even make cupcakes; change the baking time according to the package instructions or your recipe.

Recipe source: Veronica's Cornucopia

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for letting me be a guest on your blog, I'm so honored! I've also really enjoyed getting to know you too. Enjoy the rest of your vaca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! this looks so good!! =)
    I love oreos!

    Pinning to save!!!!

    Hope you are having a wonderful time Marsha!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly