Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Holiday Cornflake Wreath

I have made this simple treat for years.  And it's frugal too.

I have always loved the crunch of corn flakes.  A family favorite of my mom's, Cheesey Cottage Potatoes calls for crushed cornflakes mixed with butter for the topping.  Near and dear to my heart....MMMM good! 
(I recently found out that recipe is going to be in one of Gooseberry Patch's cookbooks next year! YEHAW!!)

I have this recipe in my mom's handwriting, and it's a favorite of one of my daughter -in-loves, so I make it nearly every year.

Such a simple treat and pretty presentation too. 

One that I can make at the last minute because I always have these simple ingredients on hand. 

I have seen photos where a bow is made with red shoestring licorice - 
such a GREAT idea.  

Enjoy! 


HOLIDAY CORNFLAKE WREATH

30 large marshmallows 
1/2 c. butter (do not substitute)
1 Tb. vanilla extract
20 - 22 drops green food coloring
3-1/2 c. cornflakes
red hot cinnamon candies
red shoestring licorice and one red Dot candy, optional 

In large saucepan, combine marshmallows and butter; heat, stirring over low heat, until smooth. Stir in vanilla and food coloring. 

Remove from heat; add cornflakes and stir until well blended. Drop by spoonsful onto prepared pan, forming a 9" wreath. Decorate with red hots. If desired, make a bowl with shoestring licorice and top with Dot candy. 

Yield: 10 - 12 servings 

Linked to 
Meal Plan Monday


No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly