Thursday, May 21, 2015

Mom's Cowboy Cookies

When my brothers and I recall memories of our dear mama, they always include this wonderful cookie. 

I never realized until I was married that chocolate chip cookies didn't always have oatmeal in them...that's the only way we knew mom to make them!!
(She stre-e-e-tttched everything!) 

(I also didn't realize until recently I didn't have this recipe on my blog - GULP!)

My favorite memory of my mom was when she would spend one whole day baking cookies for the freezer.  We'd take them in our homemade packed school lunches...we'd share with drop in company..and we'd get to enjoy one or two on the day she baked ALL.DAY.LONG!


I can remember the excitement I felt when I'd get off the school bus and the kitchen windows were all steamed up.  We'd walk into the kitchen to the glorious and comforting smells...and see all the counters and the table covered in fresh baked cookies.

Still brings a tear to my eye to think of it!! 

It MUST be why I'm such a cookie monster today. 

My dad was a big coffee drinker...and since he loved dunking cookies in his coffee...mom always made crunchy cookies.  They're my favorite ever.

(Too bad for my hubby as his mom always made soft cookies, so I give in to him every now and then for his sake=)

I proudly present to you these beloved MOM'S COWBOY COOKIES!!!
(this photo is taken next to a cut glass candy dish I inherited from my grandma) 


MOM'S COWBOY COOKIES 

1 c. shortening (margarine)
1 c. white sugar
(I cut sugar amounts down to 3/4 c. each)
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. dry oatmeal
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (12 ozs) bag semi sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350. Blend shortening and sugars until smooth; add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Add oats and vanilla, then stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonsful. Bake 10-11 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet.  Allow to stand about 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Yield: about 6-7 dozen.






Linked to Weekend Potluck


More favorite cookie recipes....














Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly