Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Skinny Pumpkin Pie



As we pumpkin pie lovers enjoy our piece(s) of YUM over the holidays, I think it's great to find a way to cut back on calories and fat. 

I was so happy to see this wonderful recipe at Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
I am always looking for ways to cut back on fat and sugar in my recipes, so whenever I see anything that says SKINNY - It beckons to me loudly!

I do have a crustless sugar free pumpkin pie that I often make over the holidays, but love trying something new...especially since I do love pie crust. 
And you 'blind bake' the crust before adding the filling to keep it from becoming a soggy crust.  VERY yum!! I am a lover of crunch!

This pumpkin filling has yogurt in it, and that intrigued me too.  I believe it added smooth creaminess. I'm wild about CREAMINESS. 

This would make an awesome dessert for those who are watching their calories. 

I used partly Brown Sugar Splenda in my recipe, and the only thing you have to remember if you choose to do that, is to decrease baking time. 

Unless you have a taste tester with very sensitive taste buds, no one will ever guess this is SKINNY. 

It's delicious and yummy. 



SKINNY PUMPKIN PIE 

1 9" unbaked pie crust
1-3/4 c. pumpkin puree
1/2 c. brown sugar, +2 Tb.
(or 1/4 c. packed brown sugar splenda)
3 whole eggs
(or 2 eggs and 2 egg whites)
3/4 c. nonfat or lowfat greek yogurt 
1/2 c. (2%) milk
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 c. whipped cream, optional 

Preheat oven to 400. Place pie shell in pie plate and crimp edge. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork, then line pie shell with heavy foil. Press firmly against sides of crust, (otherwise it will shrink). Roll excess foil in so edge of crust is exposed.

Bake for 20 minutes on middle shelf of oven. Remove foil and bake an additional 
6 - 8 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes while making filling. 

Reduce oven temperature to 350 and lower oven rack. 

Add pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, yogurt, milk, salt, and spices to mixing bowl.  Mix on medium speed scraping the sides of bowl about 3 times until pumpkin mixture is smooth and fully blended. 

Pour into prebaked pie shell. 

Bake 50 - 55 minutes or until edges of pie are set but center is still a little jiggly when pan is moved. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Serve warm or cold with whipped cream topping; sprinkle with a few toasted pecans for a special garnish. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck
Foodie Friends Friday

3 comments :

  1. I'm with you on the "skinny" recipes, Marsha!! This sounds like an easy swap and I know no one will be able to tell the difference. The peanut butter bread looks great, as does the cranberry apple salad. You share the best recipes!! XO

    ReplyDelete

  2. Yum...! This recipe sounds so good, you are making me hungry. =)

    Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites.

    ( I shared on Pinterest ) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin Pie anyway is good but skinny is better. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly