Thursday, May 3, 2012

Orange Streusel Loaves

I love a bargain, so when I recently found this cake mix at a discount store for less than $1.00 (80 cents to be exact - and it wasn't outdated!)
I couldn't resist.

Orange cake mixes are not real common these days...atleast they don't seem to be in these 'parts'.

They are made by Duncan Hines and I used one to make this recipe for Orange Dreamsicle Cake a few weeks ago.

This loaf recipe was on the side of the box and it's simply delicious. I've revised it a bit by adding water to the loaf, and flour to the streusel to make it crumbly. 

I'm sure you could use a lemon, strawberry or any other flavor of choice to make these nice loaves.

I think sour cream always adds great moisture to baked goods, this one included.

I served it to a group of gals at church and it got some great compliments.

Give it a try - it freezes well (without glaze) too.


ORANGE STREUSEL LOAVES

Cake:

1 pkg. orange supreme cake mix, reserving 2 Tb. of mix
1 (3 ozs) pkg. vanilla instant pudding
4 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/3 c. oil

Streusel:

2 Tb. reserved cake mix
2 Tb. flour (or more)
2 Tb. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tb. margarine
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
Glaze:

1 c. powdered sugar
1 - 2 Tb. milk or orange juice


Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9" X 5" X 3" loaf pans.

For cake, combine remaining cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream and oil in large bowl.  Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans. 

Sprinkle with streusel mixture. Bake 45 - 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
(Mine was done just about 47 minutes baking time but my pans might have been a tad larger.)

Cool in pans 15 minutes. Loosen loaves from pans. Invert onto cooling rack. Turn right side up. Cool completely.

For streusel topping:

Place 2 Tb. cake mix, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and margarine in medium bowl.  Mix well with fork until crumbly. Stir in pecans.

For glaze:

Combine powdered sugar and liquid in small bowl. Stir until smooth.  Drizzle over cooled loaves.

Linked to Thursday's Treasures
Weekend Potluck

7 comments :

  1. This sounds wonderful! I'd love some for breakfast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you lived next door...I'd be asking for a piece with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness Marsha my husband loves anything orange. I think he would love these pretty little loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm! I've got to check my grocery stores for this cake mix! I would love to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen an orange one, but I'll have to look around. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! PLEASE!!! I want to make these also! Three hits with me...so far! ~smile~ Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 32! See you there Thursday! <3 and hugs sugah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These loaves look wonderful
    I really your blog - wonderful recipes you have here, so I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly