Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sunshine & Shadow Cookie Bars

Oh how I love this recipe!

My mom use to make similar bars when I was a kid.  She called them Two-Tone Bars.

My mom was a big cookie baker, (& me....a big cookie EATER=) and often made cookie bars instead of drop cookies.

The base of this cookie is dark, while the meringue topping is lighter.


My mom did a lot of entertaining...we often had drop in company and she was always ready to feed hungry mouths.

(This tidbit is in the personal pages of my cookbook, but one time my mama hosted 19 overnight guests - yes...at once!)

Folks loved coming to our home because they felt loved...unconditionally.

Oh how blessed I am to have grown up with that attitude!

Anyway - I dare say...I do believe a 'memory' sneaked out my eye and ran down my cheek when I tasted these....it reminded me of my childhood. *-*

This two-layered bar also has another name...Butterscotch Meringue Bar.  But I thought the Sunshine & Shadow name was perfect and just made me smile when I saw it.

MMM good!  Crunchy on top, chocolatey in the middle with a brown sugar base!  How could you not LOVE this cookie bar?


SUNSHINE & SHADOW BARS

2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
(reduce if using salted butter)
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 c. packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 c. white sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. water
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350. Grease 9" X 13" baking pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; set aside.

In large bowl, beat butter, 1 cup brown sugar and white sugar on medium speed until fluffy.  Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and water. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture; mixing until combined.  Spread dough evenly in prepared pan. Press chocolate chips lightly into the dough.

In clean bowl, whip egg whites to stiff peaks and slowly mix in remaining 1 c. brown sugar. Spread egg white mixture over dough and bake until golden bowl, about 30 minutes.  Cool in pan 1 hour.
(Bars can be store in airtight container for 3 days).

Yield: 16 - 20 bars

Linked to Weekend Potluck
                   Mop it up Monday
           Totally Tasty Tuesday
            Crazy Sweet Tuesday
                 Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party

3 comments :

  1. I love recipes that remind me of my Mom and all the warm memories of growing up! Cookies are great, but bars are so easy! Looks like a tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.my.GIDDY.aunt. These look fantastically delicious. Did you know I have a problem with sugar?! Just popping in to get a little Martha fix...missing you, sweet thing, and thankful for the smile the thought of you brings! (and glad you missed me at Ladies Day - maybe next year?)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these sound wonderful. I think the very best tastes are the ones with sentimental attachements to them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly