Thursday, December 6, 2012

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup



Another yummy soup recipe to warm you up in these cool temps. 

I love broccoli/cheese soup.  Hubby and I both order it often when we eat out.  But anytime I can make it at home, we are happy campers too. 

I love this addition of cauliflower, but if you prefer, use just one or the other. 

This takes a little chopping of veggies, but it is so worth your time.  For me, it's a great way to use up those carrots and celery in the veggie drawer that need to be eaten. You can also add a chopped potato too if you'd like. 

(I often make it with the frozen California Veggie Mix...Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots, to save chopping time.)

I always love making a roux to add to the broth cause I have always preferred a thick soup to a brothy one. 

If you really want to feel special, serve this in bread bowls and you'll feel like you're sitting at Panera.   AAAHHH! 

You can puree part of the soup (be careful if it's hot so it doesn't blow the lid off your blender) or just mash it lightly with a potato masher. I like having chunks in it to bite into. 


BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP 


1 onion, chopped

2 Tb. butter, melted
4 c. chicken broth
3 c. broccoli and/or cauliflower, chopped, 
fresh or frozen
2 c. carrots, diced
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. all purpose flour
4 c. half and half, divided
2 c. cheddar cheese, grated
(we prefer velveeta...and less than that amount)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg


In large saucepan, saute onion in 2 Tb. butter; add broth. Bring to a boil and add vegetables; cook over low heat until tender - about 20 minutes.  Add salt & pepper.  While vegetables are cooking, in a large skillet, melt 1/2 c. butter over medium heat; whisk flour into butter, stirring constantly until thick. Add 2 c. of 1/2 & 1/2, stirring until smooth; add cheese and heat until melted. 



 Let cool a few minutes; transfer 1/2 soup mixture to blender and puree, or mash vegetables with hand masher.  Pour veggie mixture back into saucepan. 



Blend milk/cheese mixture into puree; add remaining cream.  Stir until well blended and heated through, but don't boil.  Add nutmeg just before serving. 

3 comments :

  1. I love the idea of using the frozen mix and I love broccoli cheese soup. The bread bowls would be so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So don't take this the wrong way, but I love how tech-savvy you are for your age. You have a beautiful blog and edit your photos us1ing online tools (love Picmonkey) and you just seem way beyond your age, meaning you're younger in tech years than your age-lol. It is keeping you young! :) Your soup sounds DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love creamy soups! I love the idea of adding the cauliflower. Got to try this!

    I hope you and your hubby have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly