Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon & Caramelized Onions



The first time I saw an idea to oven roast brussel sprouts was at a recent Weekend Potluck party. This Silly Girl's Life shared a simple recipe that really intrigued me. I didn't make them right away, and then was happy when I saw a recipe at Miss Information that gave me the idea to adapt it into my own.  

Since I love caramelized onions, I wanted to brown them a little longer than the original recipe called for.  This simple combination makes for one awesome side dish! We both really like brussel sprouts, and I'm happy to find new ways to fix them. 

We will be enjoying these again soon.  They would make a wonderful side dish for any meal. 


BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH BACON & CARAMELIZED ONIONS 

1 Bag of brussel sprouts (about 25 of them),
 stems cut and any bad leaves on the outside removed 
(I used frozen) 
olive oil, salt & pepper to taste 
5 strips of bacon
1 sweet onion, cut into slices 
3 Heaping TB. Smart Balance butter spread, divided 
Salt to taste

Coat sprouts lightly with olive oil, then salt & pepper. Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake about 20 - 30 minutes at 400* or until tender, stirring or shaking the pan halfway through baking time.  (After I made this, I did see a recipe that calls for adding balsamic vinegar to the olive oil before baking.  I thought that sounded yummy too!

Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces; brown in a skillet. Cook until bacon is crisp; remove from pan, then add 1 Tb. butter spread to bacon grease. Sautee onion until browned and caramelized, atleast 10 minutes.  Watch so they don't burn!

When sprouts are finished baking, place them in a serving bowl and top with bacon & onion.  

SOO good!  I could eat a whole bagfull by myself! 

Linked to Weekend Potluck

4 comments :

  1. We aren't big brussel sprout fans, but every time I've oven roasted a veggie we have LOVED it! I'm going to try this....the fresh ones look so nice in the stores right now...all on their branch, ready to break off. I was tempted to try them again and this recipe just makes me want to even more! I mean..with onions and bacon, how could it not be wonderful? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not a fan of Brussel Sprouts either..=) but your recipe looks good!

    I hope you and your Husband are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted veggies and this would be so healthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to have to give these a try...I must say they are easy and can be to make! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly