Thursday, January 10, 2013

Angelic Macaroons



When my daughter-in-love, Lyn, and I were talking about the kinds of cookies we wanted to make for our annual cookie baking/candy making night in December, she mentioned she loves macaroons, but can never make them right. 

I love them too, but hadn't been able to find the 'perfect' recipe to make.

We've both tried using the recipe for combining sweetened condensed milk and coconut - we know others who have success with that one, but neither of us have. 

Imagine my excitement when I found the great recipe using an angel food cake mix....just the day before our scheduled kitchen time together. 

These yummy cookies are fat free!  You could always use unsweetened coconut in this recipe. There is some fat in the coconut, but I did check online and these cookies only have 79 calories each. That's not bad for such a tasty cookie. 

I loved the crunchy outside...soft inside.  And the flavor was magnificent!

It's definitely a recipe I will make again and again. 

(I did cut the baking time from original recipe) 

I don't want to forget to share where I got the cookbook where I found this special recipe....CAKE MIX MAGIC


My sweet blogging buddy, Angie, from A'lil Country Sugar kindly sent me the book along with several other lovely items she had for a giveaway.  The person whose name was drawn never contacted her with mailing info, so my sweet friend chose me.  How precious is that???  Thanks again Ang, for the lovely package of goodies I received! I am going to have SUCH a great time with this new cookbook.
I rarely EVER make a cake from a cake mix...this is my 'cup of tea'. 

Onto the tasty recipe...


ANGELIC MACAROONS

1 (16 ozs) pkg. angel food cake mix
1/2 c. cold water
1 tsp. almond extract
1 (14 ozs) sweetened flaked coconut, divided
1/2 c. slivered almonds, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Beat cake mix, water and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add half of coconut (I stirred by hand at this point); beat until blended. Add remaining coconut and almonds.  Beat until smooth. Drop dough by heaping tablespoonsful 2" apart onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.  (Check them at 18) Cool on cookie sheets 3 minutes.  Remove to wire racks; cool completely. 

Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen cookies 


Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
          Weekend Potluck

7 comments :

  1. My dear Mom LOVES macaroons. I'll have to share this with her. They do sound angelic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is NEAT! I make them with the condensed milk but I think I add flour too b/c otherwise it's too runny, but I have to tell you: I'm not a macaroon fan! These look so different from the typical macaroons I do think I'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little beauties look like they would just melt in your mouth. I'm glad you are enjoying the cookbook. I knew you put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! =)

    Im going to Pin to save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies definitely look angelic! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love macaroons! This looks and sounds like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look amazing. I will have to add these to my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly