Sunday, February 8, 2015

Southern Style Chocolate Gravy

Well Y'all...

If you're a Southerner, you're probably very familiar with this recipe.
But if you're a Northerner like me, it was definitely something new. 

It's very delicious...no doubt about it.  I served it for a family holiday gathering and it was well loved...and was quite the conversation piece too! 

And I saved this one to share with you for Valentine's Day....
CHOCOLATE=LOVE 

I reduced some calories by using mostly xylitol instead of sugar, and using 1% milk. It would be the richest by using 2% or full fat milk. 

To me, it was just like chocolate pudding over the biscuits. We used Grands Biscuits from a can..wonderful!  But you can most certainly make your own...you could even enjoy this scrumptious gravy over these Killer 7-Up Biscuits, Copycat Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Biscuits or use your own homemade biscuit recipe. 

Oh trust me, I would NEVER complain about such a combination because it really was marvelous.  One of my most favorite 'comfort' foods is warm cooked chocolate pudding, so this was right up my taste bud alley!!!

After reviewing similar recipes online, I made a few revisions and we loved it! 
In fact....IT.WAS.GREAT! 

Do hope y'all will try it soon. 

(I have a number of Southern friends and have picked up saying y'all from them over the years...how I love 'em! =) 


SOUTHERN STYLE CHOCOLATE GRAVY 

3 Tb. butter
1/3 c. baking cocoa
3 Tb. all purpose flour
3/4 c. white sugar
(may use 1/2 c. xylitol and 1/4 c. sugar if desired)
2 c. milk, divided
2 tsp. vanilla extract 

Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Mix in cocoa, flour and sugar. (Using a whisk works best). Slowly pour 1 cup of milk into the skillet and whisk well to remove lumps. Whisk in remaining milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, being careful not to scorch. Stir in vanilla until smooth. Serve hot over biscuits.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly