Thursday, August 16, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Waffles

I'm always excited to find new ways to use zucchini. So I HAD to make these after seeing them at Thriving Home. They share great recipes and inspirational thoughts. 

This recipe did not disappoint.  I love it when you can 'hide' healthy ingredients in something and your family has no clue. 

This yummy dish calls for whole wheat flour & coconut oil, which I love.  I also used almond milk. It can also be made sugar free. 

MMM - good!

I topped it with strawberry topping made from cool whip and sugar free strawberry jello....

Another variation of my Cool Peach Dessert (2 ingredients)

These freeze well, so enjoy some now...and some later.
Just thaw and enjoy. 

Enjoy them with peanut butter for breakfast...or how about some nutella???
YES! YES! YES! 

Yield: 15 - 4" waffles 





DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI WAFFLES 

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1 TB. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 c. brown sugar
(I used 2 Tb. brown sugar splenda)
1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
(could try butter)
2 eggs
1-3/4 c. milk (I used almond milk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. zucchini, pureed in food processor
(pumpkin would work too)
1 c. chocolate chips
(click here for my sugar free choc chip recipe)


Mix dry ingredients (whole wheat flour through cocoa powder) in large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar and melted coconut oil. Whisk in beaten egg, milk and pureed zucchini.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk just until combined. (Do not overmix). Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour about 1/4 c. mix per waffle onto prepared (spray with cooking spray) waffle maker and bake until done. (About 3 - 3/12 minutes) 



Top with fruit and/or cool whip. 


Yield: 15 - 4" waffles 

These freeze nicely too! 

Linked to Foodie Friends Friday
         Mix it up Monday
         Ingredient Spotlight - Baking Cocoa
Weekend Potluck

10 comments :

  1. What an odd combination that has my tastebuds ever so intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I just blogged about a chocolate zucchini bread I made... LOVE that combo :) These look really awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Chocolate is a great way to 'hide' zucchini on the kids. :)
    But because of the whole wheat flour, they are not gluten-free. Wheat, rye, barley, and commercially produced oats all contain gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum...and they are so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe! One more tasty way to get those veggies in! Have a great weekend, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zucchini waffles! And I was just thinking what am I going to do with all this zucchini I picked last night! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Don't forget to come back and vote on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! This recipe sounds delicious. Stopping by from the weekend potluck blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious looking and very interesting recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this might be a way I could get my guy to eat zucchini! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These waffles sound delicious! =)
    Pinning to my Breakfast Recipe board!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly