Sunday, October 18, 2015

Oven Baked Chili Dogs

CALLING ALL ADULTS & KIDS TOO! 

These chili dogs may be somewhat messy, but they are outta this world wonderful as well! 

I know most hot dogs are not among out healthy choices in the world, but hubby and I have really gone wild over Nathan's all beef hot dogs,
and that's what I used for this simple recipe. 

Instead of putting cold hot dogs in the oven, I first boiled them, just to warm them up a little, then put them in the buns and added the chili, cheese and onion before covering them with foil and baking for a little while.

It just speeds up the process so unless you have time to let them heat completely in the oven (45 minutes), you can warm the 'dogs' then add to the buns.

I am not much of a sandwich person, but when I'm going to eat
a bun with a burger or dog, I want it warm, and this is such a great
way to do that. 

I added this recipe  to my second cookbook, after seeing it at Tonya's 4 little Fergusons blog, which is 'on hold' at this point in time. I love Tonya and her precious family and am excited about seeing them again in Oct. 

Also, I did NOT add the mayo, mustard and relish as hubby wasn't in favor of that AND the chili, but I hear tell it's very tasty. 

These special dogs need to be eaten with a fork.

(TIP) - If you're in a rush, just warm the hot dogs and the chili before baking - it will cut your baking time in half). 



OVEN BAKED CHILI DOGS

8 hot dogs (we love Nathan's!!)
8 (whole wheat) hot dog buns
mayo, mustard, and sweet relish, optional
2 (15 ozs. each) can Hormel Chili Masters 
(or use you own favorite chili)
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 onion, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Spread mayo on inside of each hot dog bun. Add relish and a stripe of yellow mustard if desired. Fill buns with hot dogs and squeeze them all into a 9" X 13" baking dish, lined with nonstick foil for easy cleanup. 
(you may be able to place 2 of them in the opposite direction to get them to fit).
Top hot dogs with chili, cheese and diced onion.  Cover (with nonstick foil) and bake 45 minutes. 


Linked to 
          Weekend Potluck
           Meal Plan Monday


You might also enjoy these ideas...



TRASH: Kid's Card Game - Fun for all!








Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly