Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

(A special and fabulous recipe from my archives...a wonderful way to use up any leftover Easter ham=)

I found this fabulous recipe at Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

I have already shared this recipe in the monthly food column I write for locally.

It would be a great recipe to use up your leftover Easter ham, so I thought I'd share it with you now so you have time to plan ahead.  *-*



I think chicken/ham/cheese are a hard combination to beat. And the crunchy topping on this dish makes it taste very similar to the real thing...the more
time consuming way to make it.

(I made half the recipe and it worked very well)

I served it with Crockpot Sweet Potatoes and my taste buds thought that was a marriage made in heaven too.  Just like the casserole... 

I'm sure I'll be making this again after Easter!! And I can hardly wait!


CHICKEN CORDON BLEU CASSEROLE

4 cups chicken, cooked and cut into chunks
2 cups ham, cooked and cut into chunks
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 cup onion, chopped
1/4 c. butter
1/3 c. flour
2-1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I used a little more)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Layer chicken, ham and cheese in a greased 9" X 13" pan. Saute onions in butter.  Stir in flour and blend in milk; add dry mustard and seasonings. Cook and stir until thickened.  Pour over ham and sprinkle with topping.

CRUNCHY TOPPING

2-1/2 c. coarse bread crumbs (I replaced 1 cup crumbs with panko crumbs)
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. melted butter

Mix together until combined before sprinkling over ham mixture. Bake 30 minutes uncovered 
 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And...the link (at the bottom of this post) will take you to a page where my newest blogging friend, Lark, of Lark's Country Heart has posted a similar recipe for a community "Recipe of the Week" online. 

Her recipe uses raw chicken and a soup based sauce.

She recommends making and freezing it ahead too.  I love that option anytime! 

Check it out at Lark's Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole - MMMMM Good!


13 comments :

  1. I love this casserole! It contains so many of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful casserole. I cannot wait to try it with my leftover ham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm! Love these ingredients! And who doesn't like a crunchy topping?! I'm definitely going to keep this in mind if I have any ham leftovers from Easter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marsha for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chicken Cord on Bleu. his casserole looks great. I have the same sweet corn plate. I have a tomato, corn and blueberry one. I have them on a plate holder. Someone was selling them at a estate sale. The are definatly my favorite decor platess/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by! Us military families gotta stick together =) This recipe looks fabulous. I like regular Chicken cordon bleu--so this is worth a try! I also keep note on all casserole--thats all my sister's husband will eat (i know, weird), so I help her out with new recipes as much as I can! "See" ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds so good! It's making my tummy grumble just looking at it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be making this....looks so good! I think my kids will love this recipe, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm. I can taste this one now. The crunchy topping looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You share the best recipes!! I want to try this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really good, and so easy! It's Easter ham leftover week at our house, so I'll be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! And, I have all of the ingredients on hand. I may have to make this later in the week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had some leftover ham still, this looks tasty. Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly