Sunday, July 14, 2013

Nutty Pistachio Pineapple Cake (from cake mix)

I've been trying to stick with oven-free recipes, but am throwing this one into the mix because IT.IS.SO.GOOD! Some things are just worth turning the oven on for, and this is one of them...or, save it for a rainy day. 

My husband RAVED about this cake...he rarely does that, so I knew this was going into my 'Must Repeat' files! I made it for him for Father's Day. Was tickled to see this recipe at The Southern Lady Cooks just a few days before the 'big day'. 
It turns out to be a very pretty green, and I am not sure I would have known there was pineapple in it...but it certainly added the right amount of moisture. 
This isn't a sugar-free dessert, unless you choose to use a sugar free cake mix and pudding, but it is definitely a reduced-sugar treat. 
I made a few little changes to use what I had on hand. You can frost or glaze this if you'd like.  Because we try to limit our sugar, I made a thin simple powdered sugar glaze, then sprinkled it with unsweetened coconut. 
I loved the taste and texture the toasted nuts added to this tasty dessert. 
I baked it closer to 45 minutes than 50 and it was perfectly moist!! 
The next time I make it, I plan to bake it in a 9" X 13" and make it a poke cake...'frosting' with more pistachio pudding! 


NUTTY PISTACHIO PINEAPPLE CAKE 
1 (18 ozs) yellow cake mix 
1 (4-serv.size) instant (sugar free) pistachio pudding
3 eggs
(I used 2 eggs + 2 egg whites)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used Greek Yogurt)
1 cup (1%) milk
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 tsp. vanilla (or almond) extract
1 c. (unsweetened) coconut
1 c. chopped pecans, or your favorite, toasted 

Preheat oven to 350*. 
In large bowl, mix pudding and cake mix with a wire whisk.  Add eggs, sour cream/greek yogurt, milk, pineapple, vanilla, coconut and nuts.  Mix well.  Spray a 9-inch bundt pan or a 9" x 13"  baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake 45 - 50 minutes, checking for doneness just before 45 minutes...and every few minutes after. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes, turn out on plate.  Drizzle with a simple powdered sugar/milk glaze or frost with your favorite frosting. 
 
Linked to Mix it up Monday
Weekend Potluck  
Meal Plan Monday

5 comments :

  1. Growing up, pistachio ice cream and pudding were some of my favorite treats and while I never eat them now, I still do love them! This sound so good and you know I will turn on the oven for anything nowadays. Particularly something this tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Any cake with pineapples has got to be delicious and moist! UMM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love moist cakes like this! =)
    Pinning to my Cake board!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this is another winner! I love cake mix with pistachio pudding. I've never tried this version, but with the pineapple, it has to be oh so moist! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome combo!! Love all these flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly